Skip to content
Things to Consider Before Getting a Tattoo or Piercing
- Make sure the business is currently licensed by East Liverpool City Health District issues licenses for tattoo and/or body piercing and the Operation Approval should be posted.
- Obtaining a tattoo at a party is illegal in Ohio unless artists have obtained approval from the Health Department in their city/county and have been properly trained to protect your health and safety.
- Check with your doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to get a tattoo or piercing.
- Look for overall cleanliness both in and out of the procedure room(s).
- Ask the business about their sterilization process and whether they use disposable items or if they sterilize on-site at the business.
- Make sure all sterilized equipment (needles, tubes, and jewelry) is opened in front of you.
- Aftercare instructions must be provided. Ask to see the instructions before the procedure.
- No person under the age of 18 can receive a tattoo or body piercing without parent or legal guardian present.
- Artists performing procedures must be trained in bloodborne pathogens and first aid.
- New gloves must be worn by the artist for each procedure. Gloves are for their protection as much as yours.