The Ohio Revised Code chapter 3707.26 requires local health districts to conduct school environmental health inspections twice per year. As such, the East Liverpool City Health District (ELCHD) conducts inspections at North Elementary, Westgate Middle School, and East Liverpool City Junior/Senior High School. The purpose of these inspections is to promote the best performance and attendance of students through a safe and healthy learning environment. In accordance with the code and Ohio Department of Health guidelines, school maintenance staff accompanies sanitarians during their inspections. Some items that our inspectors look for include the safety of playground equipment, condition of the buildings, and overall safety and sanitation within the buildings.
The ELCHD utilizes the guidance document Creating Healthy School Environments, prepared by the Ohio Department of Health, as a reference.
Additional resources are available at the Ohio Department of Health – Schools.
As a preview, the sections listed below are the content areas the Guidance Document includes:
- Section 1 Grounds & Building Exterior
- Section 2 Playgrounds
- Section 3 Solid Waste Disposal Areas
- Section 4 All Indoor Environments
- Section 5 Hallways & Stairwells
- Section 6 Specialty Classrooms
- Section 7 Auditoriums & Student Dining Areas
- Section 8 Library/Media Center
- Section 9 Indoor Athletic Facilities
- Section 10 Restrooms
- Section 11 Custodial Closets
- Section 12 Mechanical Rooms
- Section 13 Health Care Areas
- Section 14 Administrative Areas
- Section 15 Environmental Health & Safety Management Policies
If you have any questions regarding the school program, please contact the Health District at (330) 385-7900.